Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reader mail


It's been a while, but it's back - the Return of Reader Mail.

You ask. We answer. On Fridays. (But, heck, I'm early today.) Keep the letters coming....

Here's what's in the mailbag:


TURN DOWN THE VOLUME

Patricia and Eric,

Recently the Washington Post decided to add noise ratings to their dining reviews: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2008/04/04/AR2008040402735.html.

I would LOVE if you all would do this too, or at least include some critique of how noisy a restaurant is at peak times. My family and I LOVE Jasmine, especially for celebratory or other special family dinners. However, for the 10 or 12 of us that there are we have to reserve their back room because we cannot hear each other in the main dining rooms.

When we were thinking of where to host a birthday dinner for one family member this was a real concern: Harry's Seafood, Jasmine (in the main dining room), Potstickers, and Mikimotos were all considered generally too noisy.

Letting us know how loud a restaurant is, with or without noise meters (as the Washington Post is doing) would be great!
-Rebecca

ANSWER: Rebecca, I often wonder if I need a hearing aid when I go out to dine. Maybe it's the cranky, old, hard-of-hearing lady inside me, but I often feel myself straining to hear someone in some restaurants. I know the Philadelphia Inquirer's restaurant critic Craig LaBan brings along some kind of device that measures noise when he goes on reviews.
I'll talk to the Big Cheeses here at The News Journal and see what they think.

Readers, what do you say? Is it too loud in some restaurants??
NEW MARKET DOWNTOWN?
Hi Patricia,
I just saw a sign in the window of the old Corner Market that says Lapp's Market is coming soon.
Do you have any further info?
David Mathe
Hi, David. I don't know what's up. I tried calling Corner Market when they closed and left several messages, but never heard back. But I will check it out the new sign and let you, and readers, know ASAP. Thanks for the heads-up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patricia - just tried Butterfish in West Chester this weekend. The food was AMAZING, had the smoked fish app and of course, the butterfish. My dining partner had the steak. Everything was wonderful except for how loud it is there. We were literally yelling at each other. I'd go back, but ask for a table in the back room. It seemed more closed off in there and potentially had less shouting ;)

Anonymous said...

you want quiet...eat at home

Anonymous said...

With the fact that that our so called dining column on the crapy TNJ site hasnt changed in three weeks is one good sign to not take them seriously. Why our world is resigned to "blog" intelligence is beyond me. Here's a hint: Stop following the advice of someone who wouldnt know food from dung and go experience life one little restaurant at a time. Or better yet, dont expect much in an area that caters to criminals when it comes to fine dining. Try New York instead. Its actually safer than the Wilmington area anyhow.