Thursday, November 13, 2008

Top Chef recap


The reel in? Definitely the bloody apples.

"Top Chef: New York" kicked off last night with a challenge that called for peeling 15 apples with a paring knife. (New York is the Big Apple, get it? Kind of lame, but the challenge wasn't.)

When one of the contestants sliced through his thumb but keep going and left a bowl of blood-stained apples (food safety hazard, no?) it got me pumped up for a great season.

Out for blood. Yeah, baby. That's what this season is all about. Woo-hoo!

I don't know about you, but I can't peel potatoes, apples, etc. with a paring knife. I've tried and tried - in cooking classes, under the watchful eye of mother - but one of those swivel peelers is so much easier to use. Hey, I'm a home cook, not a professional.

Elimination challenge brought the contestants to different areas of New York. I was psyched to see the team who had to produce Greek food go into my favorite store in Astoria - Titan.
(My buddy Eve introduced me to this store several years ago. It's awesome and offers something like 100 kinds of feta cheese and olives. She and her mother always order in Greek for me so we don't get ripped off. I love to watch the interaction between them and the staff.)

When I saw that Jean-Georges Vongerichten was a judge, I knew the culinary school kid - who had reproduce an Asian dish - was toast.

Jean-Georges, who has lived in Asia, has restaurants in Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Would you want him judging your Asian food? Didn't think so.
Who to root for? No one right now. But my money is on Stefan to fill the role of this season's bad boy.
Let the flames begin.

No comments: