Friday, June 12, 2009

Reader mail


Happy freaking Friday. Is that the sun I see? It's been so long, I'm not sure.

It's been one of the loonnngggest weeks of my life - illness and furloughs decimated our department and I'm one tired editor.

Ooooh! One of my colleagues just handed me a scone from Liz Marden's Hockessin dessert and pastry shop. (Thank
s Lucia! Air kiss, air kiss!) Just the little pick-me-up I needed to go along with my morning cuppa.

Some commenters have taken me to the wood shed for thinking that the name of Chip Hearn's cheeky "Better than Sex" ice cream is funny as well as a pretty successful marketing tool. Here's Wednesday's story.

Just so we're clear, we are talking about ice cream - ice cream - not "Penthouse" magazine. In fact, it's ice cream named after cake - a cake Chip's sister serves and one that the Food Network's Paula Deen also makes. It's right here on the Food Network web site. Deen and Hearn may be a little saucy, but neither one is Larry Flynt.

But I'll defend your right to express your opinions, even if I don't happen to agree with them. So keep firing away. (Air kiss, air kiss!)


However, there is one very simple way to avoid "exposing" - tee hee - "Better than Sex" ice cream to children or to anyone who is offended by the name: Don't go to the ice cream stand.

But you'll be missing out on some great ice cream. (Hearn has 70 plus flavors.) And if you don't believe me, then maybe you'll believe Gourmet magazine and Food Network, who have both raved about the ice cream made by Jim Mitchell of Woodside Farm Creamery in Hockessin.


Okey-doke. Had dinner at the new Stone Balloon Winehouse in Newark. Mamma mia! That ain't the Balloon, I remember. It's gorgeous. It smells good. There is wine served here! The menu includes several hits along with a few swings-and-misses.

Here's my Taste column for your reading pleasure.

Friday means reader mail. You ask. We answer. Email your dining queries at ptalorico@delawareonline.com.

BOUQUETS FOR THE BALLOON'S QUAIL

QUESTION: Hi Pat. Your review of the Winehouse was very honest and interesting. I have not eaten a whole meal there, but have had samplings of some things. I completely agree with you that the quail is very good.

Not sure if you ever will return (not sure that it is worthy of a return visit based on your review), but I do highly recommend their desserts. They should play them up more.

It is fun to have a place like the Winehouse on Main Street in Newark. The wines are very good, but they compete with Ryan German's Caffe Gelato in that category.

Personally, for a comparable menu, I love Sovana Bistro. What do you think? Thanks for all your reviews!

ANSWER: Thanks for the email. I recently reviewed Sovana Bistro in Kennett Square. Equal love back. Here's the link.

A MIXED BAG OF .....SOMETHING

QUESTION: Good morning, Patricia.
Yesterday, I went to the farmer's market for a few items. One thing we really love is baby spinach. I bought a bag of what I thought was baby spinach and when I opened it this morning to put some on my sandwich, I discovered it wasn't. What was in the bag was stems and leaves and flowers from what appears to be pea plants. Okay, so we also love sugar snap and snow peas, and I often grow them in my garden. However, I've never eaten the plant.

What do you think?

I figure they must be edible, if they're selling them there, but nowhere have I ever seen a recipe or mention of them. Hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Carol

ANSWER: Carol, kudos to you for shopping a farmers market. Local, seasonal is the way to go. I wish I could tell you what you bought, but without seeing it, I'm afraid to even make a guess. Readers, any suggestions or ideas?

DOBER DAN FROM SLOVENIA!

QUESTION: Dear Patricia,

First of all regards from Slovenia. By coincidence I found your article about Kendov Dvorec and I was so pleased when I discovered with such nice words you have described me.

I hope you are doing well and from time to time we are still talking with Klavdij about your group. We had really nice time.

Thank you very much again for spreading such nice image about me and Klavdij.

Best regards and hope to see you again.
Bogdan Toncic

ANSWER: Readers, last fall I wrote about my trip to Slovenia and the dumpling cooking class I took there taught by Klavdij Pirih and Bogdan Tonci
c at a beautiful hotel called the Kendov Dvorec in Spodnja Idrija. Bodgan was a wonderful tour guide to the country and not only did I cook with him, he also took us to visit many wineries and local sites. It was a wonderful vacation. (And I have since sent Klavdij and him copies of the article.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Stone Balloon Winehouse may have been a good idea when first conceived, but now it seems out of touch and out of place.

Wine list isn't all that impressive (and most is overpriced), the dishes aren't that impressive (and most are overpriced), I honestly can't see how this new rendition of the Balloon can survive yet alone thrive.