Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Fishing for a good sandwich?

I dropped into the Wilmington Riverfront Market today for lunch and it was first day opening for the new Harry's Fish Market + Grill.

This is the new stall - across from Tokyo Sushi - which had been the former home of Lapp's Kitchen.

Xavier Teixido - who also owns the next door Harry's Seafood Grill - was overseeing the operations and executive chef David Leo Banks was behind the counter checking on all details, along with a slew of staff.

Teixido suggested I try the fried fish sandwich ($7.95).

It's an excellent sandwich. The white fish - (sorry, I started chatting and forgot to ask what kind!) - is breaded and fried crisp. It's served on a LeBus roll that's slathered with spicy Sriracha aioli and packed with snow pea sprouts, lettuce, tomato and onion. A pickle comes on the side. The fish was meaty, moist and very fresh tasting. I just inhaled it and I'm already thinking about what I just ate.

The menu includes fish and chips and coleslaw ($8.95), crabcake sandwich ($11.95), fried scallops and chips ($9.95); burgers and cheeseburgers range from $4.50 to $6.25. Hand-cut fries are $3.95.

Breakfast of beignets - 3 for $4.50 and New Orleans coffee ($1.50 medium; $1.95 large) is supposed to start tomorrow. Yippee.

This is a really nice addition to the market.

Attaboys all around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What is a beignet? I've heard of, but never had one. Some kind of fried dough, like a doughnut?

Patricia Talorico said...

Beignets are fried squares of dough topped with powdered sugar. When they're hot and light - like they serve them at New Orleans famed Cafe du Monde - they are pure heaven.

Unknown said...

I'm going this morning for the New Orleans coffee and I will try the beignets as well! I'll report back...