Friday, June 27, 2008

Reader mail





Happy Friday. Talorico reporting in.

Who's headed to the beach? Raise your hand? I'm hoping to check out the restaurant scene there this weekend.

It's been a crazy week trying to play catch up after my unexpected six-day break - i.e. jury service. (See below.) I have a whole new appreciation for the justice system and have to thank our bailiff "Big Tom" for making us laugh everyday.

Here's some news: Sussex County restaurateur Matt Haley has opened a new Rehoboth eatery Lupo di Mare.

Whoa, wait, a minute....what happened to Spiaggia, the Italian seafood house Haley was planning?? I'm guessing some kind of name dispute...since Lupo di Mare is located inside the new Hotel Rehoboth - right where Spiaggia was to be located. I'm going to call Haley later today and get the scoop. Stay tuned.

Check out Eric Ruth's Taste column today on chicken. We unveiled the "new" dining format two weeks ago - stars are out, forks are in - and Ruth will now be exploring cheaper eats as well as fine dining options. (Me too.) Buddy Hurlock will snack on "Regular Guy Grub" and tell you about it every Tuesday. Buddy's working on a pizza story that will be coming soon in 55 Hours.

Onto the mailbag:

QUESTION: Hi Patricia,
I have noticed a take-out shop on 202 just behind Casapulla's North. I think it's called McDaniel something, which makes sense since it's in McDaniel Crest. The sign mentions baklava and some other Greek dishes. Not sure if this place is new or I am just noticing it for the first time, but was wondering if you knew anything. Thanks!
Anne Mathay

ANSWER: Hey, Anne. Thanks for the email. Wow. This is news to me. I just drove by that way yesterday and didn't notice this new place. Good Greek food is hard to find - I've always enjoyed the European Bistro on Naamans Road - so I'm going to stop in soon and see what's going on. I'll have an update soon. Readers, anyone have information??

QUESTION: Dear Patricia,

Firstly, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. Some of the recipes you've posted have quickly become household favorites! I am a Wilmington native, and I moved to Cincinnati two years ago. This summer, my boyfriend and I are coming back to Delaware to spend a week at the beach. I am looking forward to seafood in all forms, but my boyfriend is a little more particular. He is allergic to shrimp, crab and lobster, but love clams. I was wondering if you know of a place that serves good fried clams in the general Rehoboth area? The last time we visited we were met with puny strips that looked like they came out of the grocery freezer section. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Jenna in Cincinnati

ANSWER: Hi Jeanna in Cincinnati. I'm so glad we're reaching Ohio. My friend Judy lives in Shaker Heights.

To be honest, when I eat clams, I usually go for raw or steamed. You may want to try Fins Fish House & Raw Bar on Rehoboth Avenue or perhaps Big Fish Grill on Del. 1. or maybe Jake's Seafood.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Without a doubt, the best fried clams we have ever had were at Matt Haley's Northeast Seafood in Ocean View. AMAZING. The menu says the restaurant is famous for these - rightly so!

Also, I have eaten in the last few weeks at several high-end restaurants at the beach --in Rehoboth, Dewey, and Bethany --- and they appear to be hurting for customers. I think the economy could spell disaster unless these places figure out a way to get more people through their doors.