Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chef tasting menus




Tom's no fan. I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite line: "They tend to be too much food and require too much of a time commitment. (They usually seem to take a good three hours per sitting; I'm a diner, not a treaty negotiator.)"


It reminds me when Japanese "Iron Chef" Masaharu Morimoto opened his first restaurant in Philadelphia. I stopped in and ordered the chef's tasting menu or omakase. Morimoto was in the kitchen and he served us a few of the courses. (I had written a story about Morimoto for USA Today and The News Journal; he recognized me and came over to the table a few times.)

The first few courses were fabulous, but by the time the fourth or fifth course rolled around I was beyond stuffed. It was started to feel like torture. My dining companion and I didn't want to offend the chef, but eating much more food - I think there were at least three more courses coming - was beyond our limits. We were at a table where it was hard to share food with other diners, so we started putting food in our napkins - something I haven't done since I was 8 years-old. We also did the old "push the food around the plate to make it look like we had eaten something" trick. (And, no, I'm not proud of myself for doing this.) Eventually, we huddled with the server and said we had hit the wall food wise. Please. Make. It. Stop.

I heard later the omakase portion sizes were a little smaller, but during my last Morimoto visit, I just ordered a few items off the menu and made sure I shared with others.
Too much food, no matter how good it tastes, is simply too much.

No comments: