Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What's your signature dish?


Someone recently asked me what was my signature dish.

I drew a blank.

It’s not that I don’t cook often - just the opposite in fact.

But here’s the thing: I’m a shameless food flirt. I never stay with one dish or cooking technique for very long.

I have had flings with Spanish tapas, Chinese dim sum and French tarts and souffles as well as long, passionate love affairs with Indian curries, Italian bolognese and pizza dough, Southern barbecue and Mexican moles.

And then suddenly - poof! - the bloom is off the rose and I wander off looking for a new obsession. (Right now, I'm head-over-heels for braising.)

My fickle heart wanders depending on the season or the cookbook (or cookbooks) that I’m reading or whatever looks fresh and wonderful at the market.

But I once read somewhere that people have maybe 10 dishes that they keep returning to again and again.

Just curious - and maybe for a possible story - what is the dish - or dishes - that you find yourself making again and again?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vegetarian tacos, baked ziti, honey mustard chicken, baked salmon, and chicken fettichini alfredo are pretty standard in our house.

Anonymous said...

Shepherd's pie, roast chicken with leeks, pork lo mein, spinach and ricotta shells and chile rellenos are our go-to dishes.

Shruti said...

Spicy fried tilapia is my fall-back meal at all times, with ginger-garlic paste and sriracha as seasonings. For parties I always make cheese enchiladas, chicken curry and jalapeno-cranberry cream cheese puffs. That last one is probably more of my signature.