Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pricey crabs, no more Steak and Ale, ice cream

Plenty of food news today. If you're a crab lover, read my Diner's Digest column. After my friends encountered a dozen medium size crabs for $72 - yep, 72 beans! - at a beach crab house, I decided to make a few calls to see what other crab houses were charging. It's not a complete list - just a sampling.

News Journal reporter Maureen Milford writes about the closing of Bennigan's and Steak and Ale. While Steak and Ale seemed stuck in the 70s, I actually kind of liked the place on Kirkwood Highway for a steak dinner every once and while.

Features desk reporter Shruti L. Mathur tries to make her own ice cream and runs into all kinds of problems. It's apparently not as easy as it seems.

We made ice cream when I was a kid with one of those old-fashioned crank machines (though it had an electric crank). We used it exactly ONCE. I actually forgot doing this until I found the cob webbed covered machine recently in my mom's garage.

Cool right? Wrong. After reading the directions, I decided to buy a pint at Woodside Farms instead.

No comments: