Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Snack time


For today's "Regular Guy Grub" post, Buddy Hurlock goes on a search for a certain brand of cracker and corn chips:


Today's topic is not just about snacks. It's about how two of my favorite snacks are frustratingly hard to find.

When it comes to cheese-flavored crackers, I certainly don't mind Goldfish or Cheez-Its.

But my runaway favorite is Lance's Gold-n-Chees snack crackers, not to be confused with the Toastchee sandwich crackers.

Gold-n-Chees crackers are very hard to find in supermarkets, though I know of at least one that carries them, the Acme in Price's Corner. They're on the top shelf, halfway down the crackers aisle. Maybe some other supermakets have them, but two Acme stores closer to where I live don't, so it's not uncommon for me to spend my grocery money at Price's Corner just to get these crackers.

Other places that sometimes have them are gasoline station mini-marts and delis, but it can be hit or miss. I probably like Gold-n-Chees because they're on the salty side. But I just find it odd how these became an afterthought in the wide range of Lance products. They never seem to be in vending machines. Maybe their fragile nature make them a shipping and packaging nightmare.

Any others? Herr's Corn Chips. Yes, they make corn chips, too, and I don't mean their "BBQ" corn chips. To make things more frustrating, it's not that uncommon for me to see a bag of Herr's BBQ corn chips on sale. But the regular corn chips? Nooooo...

The quest to find these has even involved at least three family members, including an aunt and cousin (by marriage) who live in Lancaster, Pa. -- Herr's Country!

Herr's corn chips kick Frito butt, at least to my tastes. But I fear they are being phased out. The only time I usually see these on sale anymore is in the single size variety. Recently, I discovered that one of my favorite hot dog places, the Deerhead location in Christiana, had them and I was tempted to buy the whole case, like when Elaine did for a certain female product on Seinfield.

But, at least I knew they were there, and whenever I had craving for them, I knew where to go again. Until, that is, my latest trip there. Not only were they gone, but the BBQ version was on sale instead! Ugh! (Yes, I realize Elaine does not like the use of exclamation points)

Both of these products are available for online ordering. But if anyone wants to report sightings of either Lance Gold-n-Chees crackers or Herr's plain corn chips, or wants talk about similar struggles when it comes to finding favorite snacks, feel free. We'll talk another time about how hard it is to find the Monster Cereals.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhhh, Lancaster County - Herr's country???? Herr's is located as far south in Chester County as you can get - Nottingham. Go to the plant. You'll find your plain corn chips.

Buddy Hurlock said...

Hey, thanks. I described Lancaster as "Herr's Country," because the company had its start there. The full history of the company is posted at its Web site. Additionally, I did not get into specifics in my post, but it was my aunt (who until recently commuted between here and Lancaster) did some investigating at the Nottingham plant and gave me the grim report about the plain corn chips' unfortunate standing in the Herr's pecking order.

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time finding Ruffels
plane chips, not sourcream and onion or sourcream & cheder but the plain ones in a single serving bag. I always find the big bags but not the single serving bags.

Buddy Hurlock said...

I know the feeling. As popular as sour cream potato chips are, I've never liked them. I don't mind barbeque when it comes to potato chips, and once in a while I'll have salt and vinegar. It does seem easier to find the flavored, kettle, etc. varieties of potato chips and not plain. If I see any packs of single serving plain Ruffles out there, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Snyder's Dill Potato Chips are my favorite, and IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Anonymous said...

well I went to deerhead to try your chips. I must say..they are quite bland. I like Frito lay better. Also, side note. Tried Deer had hotdogs. Doghouse AND Five guys makes a better dog. And I did not try the sauce because
I did not want to be tied up in the bathroom all night..lol