Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Frozen flops



I'm never going to turn down a dinner from Thomas Keller or Daniel Boulud, widely considered two of the country's best chefs.
So I was really looking forward to trying Cuisine Solution's FiveLeaf line of gourmet frozen dinners created by celebrity chefs. Here's my story.
The meals sounded really promising - Cornish hens with truffle jus, braised beef short ribs with red wine sauce and poached lobster tails with orzo and lobster sauce with mascarpone cheese.
But the meals are expensive (between $35 to $65) and disappointing. In my opinion, Boulud's was the best and my least favorite was Keller's lobster and runny "mac and cheese."
I'm guessing these meals are aimed at the gourmet cooking for dummies crowd - you just boil water or turn on the stove.
My advice: If you really want a Keller or Boulud meal, go visit one of their restaurants or buy one of their cookbooks.

No comments: