Monday, December 17, 2007

Is change good?


The New York Times reports today that the Food Network is changing gears with its programming. The canning of programs like "Emeril Live" and "Molto Mario" is just the beginning. (The photo above, taken by NJ photographer Jennifer Corbett, was at one of the last tapings of "Emeril Live." )
Do you care? I dunno, I find myself watching the network less and less these days. I like the people who show us how they cook - Bobby Flay made a really awesome prime rib with thyme jus and gingerbread trifle that I'll plan to make this Christmas. And I'll always tune in to Ina Garten. But I can't stomach the Guy Fieris and Sandra Lees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on not watching the ones whom FN has decreed to be "celebs" like Guy and Sandra, and also do not care for Robin Miller, Ingrid Hoffman, Rachel, and their ilk.

Real chefs, like Mario, seem to have taken a back seat to those above. That is a shame.

I must confess to loving ACE OF CAKES. Those people are awesome. And I like Giada, whose recipes I have found to be easy and good. A rare combination. Ina is a must-see too, as are Bobby Flay and Nigella. And I love "Restaurant Makeover" - what can I say, I am a voyeur!

Anonymous said...

Tablescapes don't belong on a cooking show.