Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Regular Guy Grub - fried chicken

Arts and Entertainment editor Peter Bothum is a "Regular Guy Grubber." He's been talking about Amore Pizza's fried chicken forever. And now he's finally written about it. Bothum's article first appeared in 55 Hours last Friday. Here's an encore in case you missed it.

And, by the way readers, where do YOU go for fried chicken?

Amore Pizza's fried chicken

By PETER BOTHUM
The News Journal

I'll never forget the day in 2005 when I first ordered fried chicken from Amore Pizza, 430 Old Baltimore Pike near Newark. The chicken didn't come in a bucket, styrofoam box or a paper carrier.

My order -- probably a 12-piece or more to suit my glutton-like behavior toward food -- was handed to me in a covered foil container that was hot -- like, you-can't-carry-this-too-far hot.
I knew this meant something special was inside, because this vessel felt like a treasure chest to me for some reason. What I didn't know was that this strongbox held 12 glorious chunks of edible gold.
When I opened the container at home I felt like Vincent Vega in "Pulp Fiction" when the glowing light of a criminal briefcase beamed into his face.

Like Vincent, I could never describe the beauty I saw, but I'll try: Crispy, beautiful pieces laid on top of a bed of french fries that soaked up the grease from the chicken for a prize to be had later.
Steam streamed out when I cut into the seemingly endless meaty parts of the breasts. The skin crunched and melted in my mouth. I thought I could run through half of the dozen but my eyes were, as the saying goes, much bigger than my stomach.

Buckets of chicken at Amore range from a four piece for $6.50 to $19.50 for 16 pieces. There's also meals of four, eight, 12, 16 and 20 pieces, with prices ranging from $9.99 for four pieces to $25.99 (for 20). It comes with your choice of two sides (three if you get 12 or more), but they're really kind of "eh." The variety is even worse -- other than cole slaw, your choices are potatoes (fries), potatoes (mashed) and potatoes (salad).

But you do get the fries in the foil bin for free, along with some usually decent garlic bread.
The response when you order a batch of fried chicken at Amore's tells you that you're getting it fresh -- they inform you that it'll be about 25-30 minutes, instead of the usual 15-20, because they have to cook it up.

Amore Pizza stared in New York in 1969 with its Italian-style pizza, which is still amazing. In 1996 it moved to Newark and now has a second location at 1590 Red Lion Road, Bear.

They're online at www.amorepizza.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just hope you don't get a roach with your chicken or pizza. Like my friend a little while go found a roach mixed with the cheese on his pizza. It was the store on OBP.

Anonymous said...

And that is not an April fools joke.

Anonymous said...

Went to try it last night on your suggestion. The chicken is really very good. Not quite as good as mine, but miles better than KFC or Seasons and Pat where they fry up some Banquet.

Readers should be cautioned to call ahead if possible. It takes about a half hour -- which you would expect.

The menu looks great and there was some really nice looking easter bread for sale.

My only trip up was the counter help. They constantly ignored the cowbell in the back signalling them that food was ready. They rolled their eyes at each other instead. But the most disturbing thing is that one of the counter girls (after a 15 minute personal call on her cellphone in another language) felt the need to re-style her hair -- with the help of a guy from the kitchen -- right over some pizza sitting on the counter. Totally skeeved me out. Hats would be good. Oh and the other counter girl announced to at least 3 people that she had a rash. "LOOK AT MY RASH!!!" Um...yeah.

Anonymous said...

I like Zingos fried chicken at the Polly Drummond location.