Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday dinner

Sunday is my favorite day of the week. And Sunday dinner is near and dear to my heart.

Going through some vacation photos recently, I came across this snapshot taken last year at a farmers market in Slovenia.

Those giant barrels were filled with homemade sauerkraut. It was the fastest moving item of the day on that rainy morning in Ljubljana.

Bundled-up, bicycle-riding grandmoms were loading up on the 'kraut. It was so cool to watch.

Sauerkraut is the base for a popular Slovene soup called jota, which tastes MUCH BETTER than it sounds.

This market was one of my favorite places in Ljubljana beside the store of salt. (See photo.) Yep, the Piranske Soline store caters to nothing but amazing salt. The wooden salt spoon I bought there is still one of my favorite items in the kitchen.

I looked at these photos and thought -bingo! Pork and sauerkraut for dinner, along with mashed potatoes (flavored with some of my remaining Slovenia salt) and homemade applesauce.

I'm off to Black Lab Breads in Wilmington for, hopefully! - a loaf of rye bread.

Wine? Maybe Ribolla Gialla, if I can find it, or perhaps we'll just crack open some beer?

No comments: