Monday, May 11, 2009

What's new


I'm very, very late with the post today. It's been "one of those days" - reporting needed to be done, stories written, and, well, just other stuff.

I just now looked up and noticed it's way after 5 p.m. Gotta get going soon. There's a pair of running shoes and a track waiting for me. (Training for a 5K, my first!, is in full swing.)

OK, so I couldn't keep an interview today with Chris Lilly of the award-winning Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q Team- but LUCKILY my esteemed colleague Gary Soulsman stepped in for me.
(Thanks, G. I owe you one.)
Gary's story on Q - and recipes from Chris's book (photo to the left) is coming next week, just in time for Memorial Day.


In other news:

Had a terrific dinner recently at Harry's Seafood Grill on the Wilmington Riverfront. We sat outside and it was a perfectly beautiful night - cool, but not cold; no humidity. Is this really Delaware??

I was torn between oysters and tartare of big eye tuna and hamachi ponzu with wasabi and wakame - and finally went with the tartare. The landlubber with me looked at it with interest - especially the wonderfully crunchy chips served on the side- and was ready for a big bite until I mentioned tartare and hamachi were raw. (Well, kind of raw, the acid in ponzu "cooks" the fish.) Yeah, well, raw was a big n-o. I always forget there are people who don't like sashimi or ceviche. Just more for me.

My server suggested the pan-roasted escolar (about $23) and he was so spot-on. The fish's flesh, when cooked, is snowy-white and slightly sweet.
The landlubber - no big surprise - went with Harry's surf and turf - or braised prime short rib of beef and crabcake with California slaw.
Anne Hood, Harry's sommelier, suggested a great Viognier that paired very nicely with the escolar.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must have just missed you at Harry's (if it was Friday) as we sat outside and ate, too. Stuck mainly with the raw as we sampled all the oysters, the sashimi sampler and then onto some hot appetizers. We had a delicious Gruner Veltliner and a Sancerre that was a delight with our choices. Go Anne!
Great vibe, cool air; then off to Orillas for cava and dessert.
thank you Xavier and Julio for giving us choices outside the box.

R

Anonymous said...

Hey P-You mentioned a book club in one of your posts. Where can an avid reader, single 50ish woman find a book club around Wilmington?? I'm been looking and looking for one for quite a while. As that old saying goes "Woman can not live by bread alone." As much as I LOVE to eat I need some cranial stimulation as well!!

Patricia Talorico said...

You can check area book stores or libraries about book club. Or, do what we did, and form one of your own. I asked two friends, who then asked two friends and so on, and so on - until we had about a dozen people. Good luck!