Monday, August 13, 2007

Down on the SIW farm


I'm obsessed with farm stands this summer. I can't stop buying local, fresh produce. And now, another really cool one that will feed my obsession is SIW Vegetables off Route 100 in Chadds Ford, Pa.
OK, sorry if you already know about this place. I realize I'm coming to the SIW party 21 years late.
SIW Vegetables has been around since 1986 and sells produce off wagons. Drive along Rt. 100 toward Chadds Ford and it's on the right-side of the road. Don't go too fast or you'll miss it.
They have a small building for check out. The wagons are filled with more than 40 different local fruits and vegetables. The farm grows 65 plus varieties of heirloom tomatoes and sweet corn is picked fresh daily.
I stopped by on Friday and bought some wonderful yellow heirloom tomatoes and fresh mozzarella made by Claudio's in Philadelphia. (This is the same Claudio's in the Italian Market on Ninth Street.) Woo-hoo! I'm thrilled I don't have to drive to Philly to get this cheese. I also got some fresh basil, very cool lemon cucumbers and baby eggplants.
I think I'm going back tomorrow for plums and peaches.

No comments: