Thursday, August 9, 2007

Reader mail




Hey foodies, I'm running questions on Thursday, since I won't have time on Friday. Actually, it's only one question; the mailbag is light this week. (Go ahead. Enjoy your vacations, people, while I'm here slaving away. I hope you're happy. Please, by all means, have a fruity umbrella drink for me.) Send any queries our way. Remember: we answer your dining questions on Fridays (or sometimes on Thursdays.)


QUESTION: I will be visiting Dewey in a few weeks. Have you done reviews for restaurants in Dewey? I am particularly interested in Two Seas. Connie
ANSWER: Connie, this question came up on July 20. Here's what we said then:
Ah, Dewey. I have so many memories of being a part of group homes where everyone had money for cocktails, but no one wanted to pony up for toilet paper, paper towels and light bulbs. Priorities, priorities. OK, so when I think Dewey Beach, I must say restaurants don't automatically come to mind. It's a town that has always been much more concerned about what is being poured in the glass, and not so much as what's being served on the plate. (See my buddy Ryan Cormier's blog.) But maybe I should give it a second look. Ryan gives forks up to the pizza at Mama Celeste's. And you certainly can't beat the view of Rehoboth Bay from the deck of the Rusty Rudder, 113 Dickinson Street & The Bay. But I can't endorse the food. Never, ever, had a good meal there. Get a drink, listen to the Island Boyz, the house steel band, and chow elsewhere. I have, however, always been a big booster of Sharky's Grill, an open-air food stand off Del. 1 and Read Avenue. Sharky's is named for co-owner Rick "Sharky" Shindledecker, a super-amiable guy who likes to chat up customers who occupy the tables and bar stools that dot the deck. You order at the counter and someone calls your name. You get free drinks refills. The Cuban sandwich, a combination of ham, roast pork, Swiss cheese and dill pickles that's packed between a sliced roll and pressed on a griddle instantly became a hit with customers and continues to be the most popular offering at this beach-block stand.
One of the best breakfast spots is the Sunrise Restaurant, 2300 Highway One, 227-3202. And you certainly can't beat the breakfast and Bloody Mary bar at
the Starboard, 2009 Highway One, (tho, sometimes, to me, the place smells like stale beer and frat house aromas are not what I want to be sniffing at 9 a.m. with my coffee and breakfast.) Venus on the Half Shell, Dagsworthy Street and the Bay, a dinner only, fine-dining spot with an Asian flair, has its fans.
Two summers ago, a bunch of us went to the
Crabbers Cove, 113 Dickinson Street & The Bay, for all-you-can-eat crabs. Again, lovely view. Food got a collective "eh." (The crabs were overcooked.)
Two Seas Restaurant, 1300 Highway One; 227-2610; is another "fine-dining" spot, I've never been there, but it was a favorite of late, great News Journal editor Dave Hale. (Dave, we miss you buddy!)
Readers have given thumbs up to the burgers at the Dewey Beach Club, 1205 Highway One; 227-0669

No comments: