Friday, August 17, 2007

Where there's smoke....


Hey foodies, TGIF. Has summer flown by or what?? No way am I ready yet for falling leaves (and raking). I remember going to a Bruce Springsteen concert years ago and Bruce saying how this time of year always reminds him of getting ready to go back to school. He was so glad he didn't have to do it anymore. I feel the same way, Boss.

I'm not willing to let go of summer just yet. That's why a great summer activity - barbecue - is on the plate today. But instead of manning the grill - or smoker - we let others do the grillin', while we did the chillin'. Check out my story in 55 Hours about three very different roadside "barbecue" places selling everything from fajitas to smoked beef brisket.

OK, so I know there's a big difference between barbecue and grilling. But for the sake of argument, let's just go with the word barbecue which many people think of when they see smoke. (Regardless of whether the cook is using direct or indirect heat.)

I've long loved the Greenwood Fire Company chicken guys in Sussex County - these guys, who share the stand with a local VFW Post - have been cooking for almost 50 years! If you're a true Delawarean and want to support local folks, you gotta get chicken there at least once in your life. It's only 6 beans!

And now I will be a frequent customer at Durham's Best Barbecue in Elkton, Md. Loved, loved the smoked brisket sandwich at this little log cabin on Fletchwood Road. (And maybe, just maybe, I'll buy a whole smoked turkey there this year for Thanksgiving. So glad you brought this up during our interview, Diana Durham.)

Everyone at the El Rancho in Avondale, Pa., was very nice and helpful. (Thanks Humberto for warning me about the heat level in arbol chilies! If I ate that long slender chili in the charro beans, believe me, it wouldn't have been pretty.) Don't worry if you can't speak Spanish. Some signs are in English, some of the cooks do speak English and using the polite finger point will always help you out in a pinch.

It was fun sitting at the picnic table at this outside stand, listening to Spanish music and putting together our own tacos. (They sell you a complete meal, though sometimes they do sell individual tacos - I haven't yet figured out why they don't sell the tacos every week.) If you go there, make sure you check out the produce at Glen Willow Orchards - just across the road. It's a great farmstand. I got a wonderfully sweet, yellow seedless watermelon there recently. The taste reminded me of pineapples. Just keep in mind, the farmstand is closed on Sundays.)

Do you know any great BBQ stands? If so - speak! speak! Or rather, comment! comment!

No comments: