Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Corn nugget crab cakes


If you love corn and crab - and you're an ambitious cook - please give today's corn nugget crab cakes a try.

I loved this dish. True, the recipe does take some time and effort, but I thought the payoff was worth it. It's a recipe from Michel Richard, a celebrated Washington, D.C., chef. I came across the dish while reading Richard's inspiring cookbook "Happy in the Kitchen." The foreword is written by Thomas Keller, considered one of the country's finest chefs. (He owns the French Laundry and Per Se restaurants.)

Richard had me with this sentence:
"Like many Europeans, I thought corn was something that cows ate, not people. But now that I have happily lived through more than 30 American summers eating fresh-picked,buttery sweet corn across the country, from Connecticut to Kansas to California, I somethimes think I could be very happy as an American cow."

No comments: