Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pressed for lunch? UPDATE

Didn't have time for a long, sitdown lunch today, but didn't want to sip soup at my desk.

(And how depressing is eating at your desk, anyway?)

It's no big secret that I love Italian food and suddenly got a hankering for a panino. When it comes to real panini - that is, the kind you buy from carts in Rome or ask for at a quick eatery in Florence - the sandwich maker will ask if you want it served hot. (And then he will grill it to order on a press.)

In Italy, they don't slather on mayonnaise or stuff panini with unessentials like lettuce. (Though arugula isn't unusual.) A panino is usually pressed until crispy and served with very good ham and cheese and the bread has chewy heft. It is way better than any old greasy grilled cheese made on Wonder white.

With panini on the brain, I was off to Presto! on Washington Street in Wilmington. I really like the vibe of this hip, casual and very cool place. I think it's probably my favorite eatery owned by Delaware restaurateur Darius Mansoory, though I do always enjoy his Mikimotos Asian Grill & Sushi Bar.

The service was fairly swift and the "Italian" panino ($8, I think?) didn't disappoint. The cheese was warm and melty and the bread had the lovely, brittle, toasty texture when I took a bite. You get a pickle (maybe homemade?) and a hot, pickled Italian pepper on the side.

My only regret? Not ordering one of the giant pancake-sized cookies I spied in the deli counter.

Tomorrow is another day.........

UPDATE: Chef Sean McNeice just told me the pickles are made "in house." Attaboy, and all that Sean. They're really good.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Many GIANT stores sell a great panini bread for making these sandwiches at home. It is found in front of the deli in most stores. Sometimes you have to ask for it.