Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wild about Harry's

It's a beautiful day - for autumn weather and Philadelphia sports.

Wow, what an ending to last night's (well, really this morning's) Phils game! Can't wait for tonight.

Tried to go to the Great Pumpkin Carve in Chadds Ford, Pa., on Friday night - but the lines! Talk about a Halloween horror show. Organizers told me about 10,000 to 12,000 people show up every year and they aren't exaggerating.

We actually only waited in line - in the car - on U.S. 1 for about 5, maybe 10, minutes, before we bagged it and went to dinner. My first choice was Brandywine Prime - we were right there - but my partner in crime wanted to go to Harry's Savoy Grill.

It turned out to be an excellent choice. The place was buzzing with activity - of all ages - and it just seemed like everyone was having fun. (I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I know it's an unsteady economy and everyone is concerned about spending money, but most, if not, all the seats seemed filled at Harry's on Friday. From what I can tell, people are still opening their wallets to dine out - at least on weekends.)

We got a table without a reservation, which surprised me since past experience on a Friday night often has meant a long wait. (OK, it was the two top next to the ladies room - not my first choice - but I was hungry and didn't feel like asking, or waiting, for another table.)

Harry's owner Xavier Teixido once told me - and I hope I'm remembering this correctly - that Harry's is the kind of place a single gal who likes to dine out frequently could take her father or uncle and both would be happy with what's on the menu. I think that's an excellent description (and I hope my memory is serving me well.)

Our dinner included lobster dumplings; butternut squash-pear soup; a cornmeal crusted oyster salad - plump, sweet and crunchy - with sweet corn, tomatoes and bacon that I can't stop thinking about; fried onion rings and quail.

I loved the complimentary pickled mushrooms brought to the table and we both ordered glasses of a very smooth, quite tasty, reserve Pinot Noir that was recently selected as the favorite wine at Harry's recent "Pinot Envy" party. (Sorry, can't remember the name; I wasn't taking notes, just concentrating on the conversation and my meal.)

Bottom line: Very enjoyable meal and money well spent.

On Saturday, I made the baked penne pasta with sweet sausage, roasted peppers and arugula dish (see Friday's post for recipe) and it won raves from the group gathered to watch the Phils game. Great, easy recipe. It's a keeper.

I'm off to buy a couple of pumpkins to decorate the front step and shop for dinner. Go Eagles! Go Phils!

No comments: