Friday, October 17, 2008

Reader Mail: UPDATE


Happy Friday.


It really feels like fall this morning. My plans this weekend are to make the Texas Brisket Chili. (See recipe below.) I'll also most likely be dining out. Haven't yet made my final plans - so I can't share yet - but I'll spill the details next week.


Was out with some friends last night at Catherine Rooney's in Trolley Square. Bottles of wine are half price on Thursdays. Good deal.




QUESTION: My wife and I have been getting Reuben sandwiches for lunch at Annie's Restaurant on Greenhill Avenue in Wilmington for years. Now that Annie's is gone, where do you recommend we go for our monthly Reuben fix? And please don’t say New York, I only get an hour for lunch!


Karl Lehman

Pike Creek


ANSWER: Karl, I tossed this question out to my fellow restaurant critic Eric Ruth and his two favorite places for a classic Reuben - layers of corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut - are Cosmos Restaurant, 316 Maryland Ave., Wilmington, 994-0920; or Ameritage Bistro, 900 N. Orange St., Wilmington, 427-2300; www.ameritagebistro.com.


UPDATE: I received several calls this morning that Annie's has relocated to Elsmere, near the fire station, and owners are remodeling their new place. They are hoping to be open within 10 days.
HERE'S ANOTHER ANNIE'S LETTER:
QUESTION: After reading your column, I thought something had happened. I just called Annie's - 888-1229 - and everything is fine. In the process of getting ready for the re-opening, they are looking at early November for their re-opening. I suggest you call so you can get the official word.

Could you please print something to correct this error.
Thank you,
Diane
ANSWER: Yup. It's done.


QUESTION: Dear Ms. Talorico,

If you have difficulty reading this request it is possibly because the screen is being covered with my saliva which I can not stop since reading the note concerning the Italian sauce that you printed on 10/15/08 in the News Journal.

I love good spaghetti and meatballs but have a problem in finding them. Either the sauce is not good or the meatballs are not full of flavor.I am wondering if you would be kind enough to fax me the recipe for the Italian sauce you wrote about?

Milan Felt, MD


ANSWER: Milan, the sauce I wrote about was the winning "gravy" made at the annual Vendemmia Italian wine and food festival last Sunday in Wilmington. Edea Barilo is the woman behind the sauce. Not sure if she has a recipe, per se, but I will contact Edea and see if she can jot something down.

No comments: