Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More on Genelle's closing


Yesterday, I got Wilfred Freeman on the phone to discuss the closing of Genelle's in Wilmington.

Freeman had operated the Market Street Caribbean style restaurant since 1994.

It breaks my heart to hear that a hardworker like Freeman, who was turning out terrific food - I wish I could have a plate of his shirt-staining chicken curry right now - had to turn off the stove.

Freeman admits he's been struggling ever since an expansion to his eatery a few years ago went way overbudget. Soaring food costs also have been difficult for him.

"I've been drained," said Freeman - and I could heard the sadness in his voice.

Any restaurateur making money today will tell you the key to success is not only about serving great food. You must have sound business judgment and management skills, be a psychologist, a custodian, a repairman, a marketer, be up to date on employment labor and health codes, keep track of inventory, have customer service knowledge, know food and beverage costs and have a very sharp eye for details.

And that's only the start of this exhausting list.

Freeman said he's been taking some time off since last month's closing to lick his wounds and hopes to make a comeback soon.

I've asked him to share any future plans with me. I'll let you know.

No comments: