Friday, February 6, 2009

Reader Mail



Hey, I know the new Pizza by Elizabeths location has been crazy, crazy, crazy busy lately - like today's one-hour wait for lunch! seriously! - but you may want to consider Cromwell's Tavern - right across the street.
I had a quite enjoyable chicken quesadilla there the other night and loved snuggling into the booth next to the bookshelves.
Onto the mailbag:

THIS IS FLAKY

QUESTION: Red pepper flakes: Can anyone tell me where to buy these? Stores seem to have only the ground and the whole pepper seeds.
Several of your recent recipes have called for the flakes; the latest one was [in Nancy Coale Zippe's column about] CHILIBOB .
Here's hoping you or one of your readers can help with this.
Regards,
Jeanne Hughes

ANSWER: Hi, Jeanne. Look in the spice aisle of the grocery store and you should find them quite easily - they are often called crushed red pepper flakes. The flakes - which you often find in jars on tables at pizza joints and casual Italian restaurants - are nothing more from hot dried red peppers, normally cayenne, which have been crushed.

CUTTING THE MUSTARD

QUESTION: Hello Patricia,
A number of years ago--I am going to guess 10-12 years--the News Journal devoted the front page of the Food Section to a variety of mustard recipes. I saved this article and made them--they were good-- but I think in the process of a move I have lost the original copy. I have tried to access these recipes through archives on delaware online but have had no luck. If you are able to locate them would you please be able to pass them along? If this is something that you may answer through a blog or online, please let me know--and pass along the website--and I will be happy to access the information there.
Thanks so much for your time.
Carol Long

ANSWER: Wow, great memory Carol! I do remember that story - one of my first "food" stories. I wanted to write about homemade holiday gifts that were anything but cookies, cakes and candy.. It was so much fun to research and write. I've been hunting it down, but with no luck so far. It may take some more digging through our archives, but I should have it somewhere. I'll let you know. Thanks for being a longtime reader. It's much appreciated!

DINING OUT ON V-DAY

QUESTION: Hello, I am stumped. I want to go somewhere special and romantic for this Valentines Day. I know I should be reserving way ahead of time for a good place. Seriously. Service and food REALLY suffers on V-Day. Too many reservations and expectations...Now my bf begs to do it after V-day....because of all the hassle mentioned above. it's true. we've had so many bad experiences in the past. I'll settle for celebrating on the different weekend. I'm still open for suggestions. something unique and special, no budget. :)

Elizabeth

ANSWER: I know restaurateurs may not like hearing this, but I'm with your bf on this one - I'd rather dine out AFTER Valentine's Day. (Same goes with New Year's Eve.) Often restaurants will have special "holiday" menus and eateries are jammed packed on these two popular dining out holidays. (Mother's Day, however, is still the No. 1 holiday to dine out.)
I need a little more information, Elizabeth, about what you're looking for - and what location. Off the top of my head, I've had very good dinners recently at the Blue Pear Bistro near West Chester, Pa. It's cozy and warm, but maybe not necessarily romantic. I think you can never go wrong at Moro restaurant or Domaine Hudson, both in Wilmington. Oysters at the bar at Harry's Seafood Grill? Or how about tapas at either Orillas or Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant. One of the most beautiful and stately dining rooms in the state - if not the whole East Coast- can be found at the Hotel du Pont's Green Room.

I LOVE NEW YORK

QUESTION: Hi there, Please place this low on your to-do list, but I have a food question for you. I'm going to NYC for work next week and though I love the city, I think I have failed at eating well when there. Mostly, I'm just running here and there and then getting hungry and eating wherever. Your mention of that onion sandwich this week made my mouth water so I'm wondering if you have any other restaurant suggestions. I'm staying in midtown, but have to be in lower Manhattan for an event or two. I have to justify my expenses, so I probably can't go too high-end.
Thanks! Debra

ANSWER: Debra, I'm so jealous! You're going to the culinary capital of the world. So many places to dine, so little time. Off the bat, I'd recommend Momofuku Ssam Bar (go at night), Spotted Pig, Prune, and Resto. I'll be writing about Resto very soon. This Belgian-style restaurant was named one of the Top 10 best in New York by very picky critic NY Times food critic Frank Bruni. It's owned by former Delaware resident Christian Pappanicholas, who graduated from Wilmington Friends School. Make a reservation and tell Christian you're from Delaware. He loves getting visitors from his hometown.
Other places that my friend Andy suggests - one of my best food sources for NYC eats - include Irving Mill, Sushi Yasuda, Mas, and Annisa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help. Now can someone direct me to the bread and milk???

Anonymous said...

Try the Grand Marnier shrimp at Chin Chin 216 East 49th St. Best Chinese in NYC. Check out the reviews at http://www.chinchinny.com/