Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy Monday. Go get a cup of coffee and let's discuss the weekend.

First off: Unfortunately, I had to cancel my reservation at Osteria in Philly. Major bummer. But I'm rescheduling and will fill you in after my visit. I called the restaurant well ahead of time to cancel and they were really appreciative. It's good practice. Seriously, if you can't make a reservation - always call and let them know. They are holding a table for you.

Second: Did you read Eric Ruth's fab Saturday story about the demise of the Chuck Wagon restaurant? I know it's been at least 20 years since it's been the CW, but it was a Delaware landmark none the less. This used to be my favorite restaurant when I was a kid. We celebrated birthdays here - they would give you a cake with sparklers on it - and my dad attended Old Capitol Trail Lions Club meetings in the back room. The restaurant will always hold a special place in my heart.

Third: I did visit a really good, new, modern Thai BYOB this weekend. It's too early for a full review - though one will be coming soon - but Sweet Basil restaurant off U.S. 202 just over the Delaware line is worth a look. Dishes can be fiery, especially the lemon grass soup. Great to see more Thai eateries in the area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice article about the Chuck Wagon! I always though that was cool looking building! I was only around for it's final couple of years, but it was a really neat concept. I also thought it was neat to hear about Kirkwood highway when it had fields all around and farms. Italian Bistro had a very nice run at the same site. I though they did a very nice renovation at the site, and added some neat features to the building. All the brick and the brick ovens were very nice. It is a shame that the business fizzled out. I guess that is the way things go!