Friday, March 30, 2007

Now that's a party!


Xavier Teixido and David Leo Banks know how to throw a party.

I popped my head in the kitchen yesterday at Teixido's Harry's Savoy Grill to see all the guest chefs in action as they prepared courses for the annual Share Our Strength Taste of the Nation dinner at the Naamans Road eatery. (It's a fund-raiser for local hunger charities.)

This was a gathering of some serious culinary talent and the chef line-up was incredible.

I'm not sure how executive chef Banks did it, but he had Jose Garces from Philadelphia's Amada and Tinto restaurant and R.J. Cooper of Vidalia restaurant in Washington, D.C., both of whom have been nominated this year for James Beard Awards for Best Mid-Atlantic chef. Whoa.

Chef Francesco Ricchi of Cesco Trattoria and D'Acqua in Washington, D.C., was chopping garlic for his famed shrimp risotto and Kirk Avondoglio of Perona Farms in Andover, N.J., was putting final touches on his scallop, carrot puree, wilted spinach, balsamic glaze dish. I didn't see Robert Bennett of American Harvest Baking, but I heard he was making a cherry bombe for the five-course meal.

Teixido said he hoped to net $45,000 for local charities. Good stuff. The dinner is a kick-off to the other upcoming Delaware culinary events including Newark's Wine & Dine Festival on Saturday , Meals from the Masters Celebrity Chef Events and Wilmington Restaurant Week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to try Amada since I work a few blocks away. I lived in Spain for a few years and want to experience some typical Tapas again. The problem is that it's VERY expensive. I'm not sure why because Tapas were either free with your drink or inexpensive at most Tapas bars. I do plan on at least trying it for lunch one day and will let you know how it turns out.