Monday, March 26, 2007

You say "boil," I say "I don't think so"

Hi gang. A very nasty bout of the flu has had me down and out for several days. So while I play catch up this morning - more posts coming later today - here's something to chew on:

A passionate reader took issue with the crawfish boil at Blue Parrot Bar & Grille featured in last Friday's 55 Hours article on specials at restaurants. Here's the email:

Dear Ms. Talorico:

I read your story about Blue Parrot Bar & Grille in Friday's 55 Hours with some amusement. As a long time resident of Louisiana I can tell you this: it is a crawfish BOIL because we BOIL them. We BOIL crawfish along with quartered onions, red potatoes, broken halves of corn on the cob, halves of lemon, and if you can find it here, (sometimes Zingo's on Maryland Ave.), Zatarain's bags of tasty and spicy BOIL bags. The whole mess is then dumped onto newspaper covered picnic tables in the back yard and eaten; generally with copious amounts of beer. It is never a family type Sunday meal....it is yet another reason to throw a party!!! Louisiana's raison d'etre.

FYI - crabs and shrimp are also BOILED in the south!

Finally, classic traditional New Orleans cooking is far from what you get at Blue Parrot and the food is no where as good as you'd find in Louisiana. I suggest Mr. Diamond take a field trip to sample the incredible cuisine, maybe then his menu will reflect the unique and tasty offerings the State of Louisiana has to offer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I am passionate about Louisiana cuisine and hate to see it adulterated in print or on my palate.

No comments: