Friday, March 30, 2007

Mailbag

Got a dining question? Send it in. Scroll down for more letters and answers.

Dear News Journal Writers,
It would be a nice follow up to your kitchen finds article to feature some of the great little markets we have here in the Wilmington area where you can shop for unique, cultural and otherwise hard to find quality culinary items. Papa’s Italian food market on Sixth St., Pagano Italian Specialties in Old Ridge Village north on U.S. 202, and the Country Butcher in Kennett Square. The Country Butcher specializes in gourmet foods, ready to go, restaurant, bakery, fabulous cheeses, and a meat department that sells wild game, like elk, pheasant, squab, and rabbit. These places struggle to stay afloat and I think it is important to let the public know that we do have other choices here. You could also add the Riverfront stores (they have some great produce) and Lazzat's middle eastern store on Kirkwood highway for your occasional goat needs. Oh and there's THE BEST BREAD IN DELAWARE!! Black Lab Breads. I never thought they could improve on the old DiFonzo, but... Oh my God!! the Focaccia is FANTASTIC!! Please write about these places so they can stay in business. Sincerely, Rosella Martucci ( who wishes she had your job!) Porro

Rosella, thanks for the letter. Papa's Food Market, 1910 W. Sixth St., Wilmington; 656-8886, is an "old-fashioned" style neighborhood grocer in the heart of Wilmington's Little Italy. I always go there to buy lady fingers when making tiramisu and the frozen meatballs are always good in a pinch when I don't feel like rolling my own. Haven't yet been to Pagano's but I will definitely check it out. I do enjoy the Riverfront Market's produce stand - they always have great fresh basil - but I wish, overall, there were more offerings in the market such as at Philly's Reading Terminal Market.

Country Butcher Fine Foods, 145 South Walnut Street Kennett Square, PA 19348 (610) 444-5980. is another fun find. And now Kennett Square has Talula's Table.

Bread lovers should definitely check out Barry Ciarrocchi's Black Lab Breads, 812 N. Union St., Wilmington; 658-1307. I agree with Rosella about the focaccia. On my last visit, I couldn't wait to eat it. And I didn't. Most of what I bought was consumed in the car. Black Lab Breads also makes good cannoli - though my heart is always with Isgro's in Philly. I ordered cannoli from Black Lab Breads for Christmas Eve and the family enjoyed it, but I just wished they packed the pastries in a white box instead of a flat pizza box. What's up with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where can you find Spanish ingredients/foods? Not Mexican, but Spanish. There are a few on-line stores, but there prices are HIGH. I bought Jamon Serrano one time and it was dry and lacked taste. A friend from Spain told me that they only export the average food and wine and keep the good stuff for themselves.