Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Claymont Steak Shop

Got my cheesesteak fix today with sandwiches from the Claymont Steak Shop, 3526 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont, 798-5319.
It's a bustling place. I stood in line - you order at the counter and wait for them to call your name - and asked the guy ahead of me it was always so crowded.
He nodded.
Was the wait worth it?
He smiled and said, "Yes, it is."
The sandwich shop has been around since 1969, but this was my first visit. It looked very clean and neat and had a mix of tie-wearing businessmen and casually dressed customers. A flat screen TV was tuned to a sports channel. You can eat in or take out.
Everyone stands around the counter waiting for their sandwiches with a look of eager anticipation. It reminded me of a group of kids waiting to get picked for a kickball team.
I got a small cheesesteak ($6.50) with onions and ketchup. (Cheese was American, not Whiz.) My dining buddy Chris, who lives near Philly's Italian Market, opted for a large cheesesteak ($7.75) with provolone and ketchup.
The drive back to The News Journal was killing me. The steaks smelled so good I almost pulled over on 495 to take a bite.
Here are my thoughts:
Claymont packs its cheesesteaks full of meat and the onions have a nice caramelization. This is one fat sandwich and you get your money's worth. I think a small would satisfy most appetites. It isn't run-down-your-arm greasy. (Is it wrong to say, I kind of missed the grease? Sorry, doc, I know I will regret writing that after my next cholesterol test.) Nor was it oozing with cheese. It had just enough cheese to bind the meat and fried onions, which I liked, because I wanted to taste the beef.
(Side note: My mom, who grew up in South Philly, claims when she was kid, cheesesteaks were never made with Whiz, but rather provolone. I don't think her memory is faulty. Cheese Whiz wasn't introduced until 1953.)
My only quibble was with Claymont's roll. It's a pretty good roll, but I was hoping for something a little more crusty. Chris agreed.
All in all, we both thought these are cheesesteaks worth driving for in Delaware - if you don't want to head to Philly.
And, I gotta tell you, the grinders coming out of the kitchen looked pretty darn good.
But that's another sandwich for another day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man are these cheese steaks great! A size small is a joke- you can barely eat half! But definitely the best in Wilmington. Don't even think of going go Pat's down the street either- it's dry and barely edible on the best days

Anonymous said...

Valle in Pike Creek shopping center has great cheese steaks. The meat is high quality and the large is HUGE! My favorite in Philly is "Jim's" on South St