Monday, October 8, 2007

Italian gravy and Italian prison food

No reader mail on Friday. Sorry, gang. I had the day off because I worked Sunday and helped judge the Italian gravy contest at the Vendemmia Wine Festival on the Wilmington Riverfront. Look for my story this Wednesday.
Good time, really nice people. But tasting 23 sauces on Sunday afternoon - with high humidity, beating sun and temperatures soaring into the 80s - got to be a little grueling. If it was 15 to 20 degrees cooler, if would have been perfect. I didn't even sip any wine - at a wine festival for Pete's sake! Just couldn't do it. Water, not wine, was my vice that day.
I'm gearing up for my annual trip next week to Italy (woo-hoo! I love autumn in Tuscany!) and one of my co-workers just shared a story about a restaurant in an Italian PRISON that's attracting a lot of customers. (Thanks Mary!) This sounds like a joke story from The Onion, but CBS, The Independent in the U.K. and other legitimate sources have all done stories on the prison eatery. Here's one link.
My food calender is filling up. I'm already planning on visiting Il Cibreo restaurant in Florence and Al Covo, a great place in Venice recommended by New York Times food writer Mark Bittman, and, hopefully, the Isole e Olena winery in Chianti.
I don't think I can talk my crowd into dining in a pokey near Pisa.

No comments: