Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Don't I know you??

Almost forgot to tune into the Next Iron Chef program on the Food Network. It's a new show where eight "celebrity" chefs compete for the chance to be, well, the next Iron Chef.
It's actually not bad. So far, lots of cooking and, unfortunately, sweating.
Yuck, the drippy balls of sweat forming on the end of the noses of the chefs as they worked in the kitchen reminded me of persistently schweaty contestant Howie from "Top Chef." Tho, I did read on Michael Ruhlman's blog they couldn't use fans in the kitchen because it screwed up the audio during Next Iron Chef taping this past summer. The heat supposedly rose to 132 degrees at some point. Yowsa!
Anyway, the whole point of this post was about one of the Next Iron Chef judges, Andrew Knowlton. He's the restaurant editor for Bon Appetit magazine. I thought Knowlton looked familiar and I just went through a stack of cards on my desk. Yup, I had dinner with Andrew several years ago in New York. He came to the James Beard House when former Deep Blue chef Robert Lhulier, now at Harry's Savoy Grill, cooked a dinner. We were seated at the same table.
I didn't recognize Andrew at first because his hair was different. (It was shorter back then.) I haven't talked with him in a while, but he did call and congratulate me when I was nominated for a James Beard Award for best newspaper food writing a few years ago.
That was a nice gesture. Well, we'll just see how nice he is to some of these contestants.

No comments: