Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Great gravy!


I hope a chill is in the air this weekend. Because Sunday dinner is going to be spaghetti, meatballs and sausage. My mom doesn't know it yet, but she will be getting her marching orders to head into the kitchen and make her Italian gravy. I adore my mother's gravy. Hands down, I'd pick it as my last meal over any Michelin starred restaurant in the world.

Part of the reason is that the sauce brings back so many great memories of sitting around the dinner table with my mom, father, sister, brother and Grandmom Talorico - one of the funniest people I've ever know - and sometimes various aunts, uncles and cousins and just enjoying each other's company.

The other reason is - it's a great sauce to sop up with crusty bread. And mom's meatballs! Oh, the meatballs! A blend of pork, veal and beef - it must be pork, veal and beef - along with pecorino romano cheese, fresh parsley, garlic, a splash of milk and a few other family secrets. I'm hungry right now.


What do you think makes a great Italian gravy?

Should it have tomato paste?

What kind of meat should be in the sauce?

Do you prefer chunky tomatoes or a smooth puree?

Comment, comment. There are no wrong answers here.

No comments: