Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Marcella: Update

UPDATE: Look for a story about Marcella in Wednesday's New York Times Dining In/Dining Out section.


"No one has ever done more to spread the gospel of pure Italian cookery in America," said the late New York Times food editor Craig Claiborne.

Claiborne was talking about Marcella Hazan.

Those who appreciate true, classic Italian cuisine - not to be confused with Italian-American - know her simply as Marcella.
Her books, recipes and beautiful writing are inspirational. I met Marcella and her husband, Victor, a well-known food and wine writer, several years ago in Philadelphia during their book tour for "Marcella Cucina."
I had never traveled to Italy at the time, but it was on my radar, especially Venice.
The Hazans were passionate about Venice - they had just closed Marcella's cooking school there and had recently relocated to Florida. They missed Italy's food, people and atmosphere. They encouraged me to go and even said they would help with a place to stay.
Since that meeting - maybe 10 years ago? - I've been to Italy five times (and Venice twice.) I can't stay away. Each fall, I try to discover a new Italian region before settling in for a week's stay in the countryside outside of Florence.
Marcella and Victor Hazan will be coming to Philadelphia's Parkway Central Library, 1901 Vine St., at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 7 to chat about Marcella's new book "Amarcord: Marcella Remembers" (Gotham Books). I'm very honored that I was asked to interview them during this special Philadelphia library appearance.
The cost is $14 general admission, $7 students.
Any questions you want me to ask Marcella and Victor? Please comment or email me at ptalorico@delawareonline.com.


No comments: