Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Travel adventures


Slovenia is a lot like Delaware. No one seems to know where it is or much about it.


The people I met during my travels to the country last year - especially Bogdan Toncic at the Kenda Manor - were so welcoming. Slovenia borders Italy, Croatia, Austria and Hungary.




Sorry, no recipe. I tried to write it down, but the chef wanted me to pay attention to his cooking and not write down exact amounts. I did buy a cookbook "The Cuisine of Slovenia" during my trip, but the recipe for zlikrofi wasn't exactly the same as Klavdij Pirih's. If you want it, send me an email at ptalorico@delawareonline.com. But you'll have to convert the grams and mililiters.


I'll drank many Slovene wines, which I mostly enjoyed. My favorite is Ribolla Gialla - which is known as Rebula in Slovenia. I brought a few bottles of regional wines, such as Vitovska and Teran, down to a house we rent in Tuscany.


We popped a few open one night with a group of friends, but I must say I enjoyed them much better in Slovenia than in Tuscany.


I think setting and "the moment" sometimes has a lot to do with enjoying wine.

No comments: