Friday, September 19, 2008

More Reader Mail (UPDATE)


Reader mail continues. Stay tuned. I have another letter coming later today. Update: Didn't get an answer....I'll post it when I do.

Every Friday. You ask. We answer. Send your emails to ptalorico@delawareonline.com.


QUESTION: Hi Pat,
Are there any restaurants nearby (I live in Newark, DE) that serve good German food? I can't find any that serve a good Sauerbraten and spaetzel. (Please don't direct me to the Oktoberfest coming up at the Sagerbund).

If there are no nearby, do you have any nearby suggestions in NJ, MD or PA?

Thanks

Bob Biros
Newark, DE


ANSWER: Bob, are up for a roadtrip? I can't think of any remaining German style restaurant in Delaware. (And for those who do want to check out German offerings in Delaware this weekend, I offer you Ryan Cormier's story today on Delaware Saengerbund Oktoberfest.)


Or you could try The Old Stein Inn, 1143 Central Avenue Edgewater, Maryland 21037; (410)798-6807; opened in 1983 by Karl and Ursula Selinger from Neustadt an der Weinstrasse in the Rhineland Pfalz region of Germany.

In Baltimore, there's the Eichenkranz Restaurant. Here's the link. Or The Guard House in Gladwyne, Pa., 610-649-9708. Here's the web site.

Bob, I definitely would call the restaurant before you hop in the car to make sure it has the experience you are looking for. (I haven't been to any of these restaurants.)

Readers, any other thoughts, opinions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is Otto's which is on 611 just off the Ft Washington Exit of the PA turnpike. I live in Wilmington and work near the restauant and it takes about 45 minutes to get there during non rush hours.