Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Taste test at Troy


The first time I go to a new pizza place, I usually like to try their pizza. But in my first trip to Troy Pizzeria & Family Restaurant, I went with the cheesy bread sticks (above top, $4.45) and a small turnover with pepperoni ($7.28).
Neither was a disappointment. Hidden within the turnover was plenty of pepperoni, no skimping whatsoever, which is always a plus. If you did not know, some places would call this a stromboli, but here, it's turnover. Other places use the same distinctions, their strombolis will have various Italian meats, peppers, onions, etc. If all you want is just mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and other pizza toppings, order the turnover at Troy.
The cheesy bread sticks were just as enjoyable, practically a small meal themselves. Already a bit spicy on their own, the sticks come with garlic dipping sauce (which I didn't use) and marinara sauce (which I did). Be sure to give these a try.
Troy Pizzeria & Family Restaurant is in the Meadowood II shopping center near Newark on Kirkwood Highway/Capitol Trail (people use both names for that area).
You can reach Troy at (302) 455-0101. The place is a welcome addition to the takeout scene, with a menu that goes beyond pizza and steaks, with other items including "oven baked rustic sandwiches" and dinner menu that includes flounder and crab cakes. But for me, the regular stuff will just do, and I hope to try the pizza itself next time.

No comments: