Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I wouldn't eat that if I were you....


Holy 30-year-old fruitcake, Batman!


When Claymont resident Cindy Curry sent me an email about the fruitcake that had a home in her parent's basement refrigerator, and now her own, since the early 1970s, well, who could resist writing about that?


The oldest thing in my refrigerator is a bottle of duck sauce circa 2006. I should throw it out; no one eats duck sauce, and I'm not sure how the heck I came to have a bottle of duck sauce.

Curry's old, stale fruitcake reminded me of Edward Gorey's story "The Haunted Tea-Cosy." Gorey's pen-and-ink drawings were on exhibit at the Brandywine River Museum a few years ago.
Anyway, the fruitcake tale got even funnier when I called Benson's Bakery in Georgia - who made the fruitcake - to tell them about Curry's three-plus decades old confection.
They had never heard of anyone keeping one of their cakes that long.
Curry had mentioned about possibly giving it to Benson's for a fruitcake museum.
The guy I talked to at Benson's said:
"With all due respect, we don't want it."

Then we both started laughing. He thanked me for the best chuckle of the week and we wished each other Merry Christmas.

Fruitcake can bring people together.






No comments: