Friday, December 19, 2008

Reader mail (UPDATED)



It's late. But it's here.

Reader mail. You ask. We answer. Every Friday. Got a dining question, email me at ptalorico@delawareonline.com.



Not everyone agrees with my list. It's my list. If you don't like it, make your own list.

And one reader did just that. Here's what's in the mailbag:


AVID FOODIE SHARES HIS OPINION

QUESTION: Patricia,
I'm sorry but I can't help but strongly oppose your selection of Culinaria for your Best Tastes of '08. I am an avid foodie and frequent diner of Delaware's finest dining establishments, but after several trips to Culinaria, I believe it's one of the most disappointing "upscale"
restaurants in the state and region.
You know what the secret is for those mashed potatoes? Loads and loads of butter and salt. The menu selection is pretty tepid and lacking imagination, too. Chicken and mashed potatoes for 19 bucks? Truly offensive. If North Wilmingtonians truly believe that Culinaria is a taste of inventive and dynamic cuisine, they are sorely mistaken.
I have no personal vendetta against the restaurant, I just wish that perhaps in the future, writers and critics can include other Delaware-area establishments like Moro, Bistro on the Brandywine, Domaine Hudson or the Blue Pear Bistro. Steer people towards those and then you/they will truly understand the definition of fine dining.
-Adam C. Warner
Delaware Resident


ANSWER: Adam,
Thanks for the email and sharing your comments.
Domaine Hudson, Moro, Bistro on the Brandywine and the Blue Pear Bistro are all very good dining establishments. And yes we have, indeed, written about all of these restaurants in The News Journal - photo above is Jim Barnes, owner of Blue Pear Bistro - and have shared them with readers. But maybe not all this year.
Most have been critically reviewed by Eric Ruth, who shares the Taste column with me.
Today's article was a compilation of the restaurants I wrote about or reviewed in 2008. Many are new establishments, not all fine dining. Eric may be sharing his own list in an upcoming column.
You may not agree - taste is subjective - but there are apparently quite a few people out there who love Culinaria's mashed potatoes. When I was dining there earlier this year - and the hostess told us the kitchen ran out of potatoes - several people standing and sitting near us at the bar began talking about how much they loved the potatoes. These were unsolicited comments; no one knew I was a News Journal food writer.
And, yes, as a professional food writer for more than 10 years, I do understand the definition of fine dining. But this column wasn't only about fine dining establishments. For instance, I certainly wouldn't call the Claymont Steak Shop a fine dining restaurant - nor, I believe, would its owners - but I feel very comfortable recommending it to News Journal readers. That's a heck of a good cheesesteak.
Thanks again for writing.

UPDATE 12/23/08: Culinaria owners respond.


ANOTHER FOODIE DOES TOO: FORGET PHILLY, GO TO CLAYMONT!

QUESTION: Patricia,
I grew up eating those Cheese steaks in Claymont. That's one of the first meals I have each time I return for a visit. Call off the search, you won't find a better one, even in Philly.
Regards
Jeffrey Weidel
Vice President, Halldin Public Relations
Roseville, California



ANSWER: Woo-hoo, Claymont gets a California shout-out - photo to the left is some Claymont Steak Shop fans - and Second Helpings has readers across the country. (Oh boss, boss? Someone needs a raise for Christmas...Hint, hint....)



FRUITCAKE FANS UNITE!

QUESTION: Hi Ms. Talorico. I just wanted to let you know I tried your [fruitcake] recipe last weekend! I was inspired by your article, and thought the fruitcake sounded good. My only previous attempts at fruitcake was a chocolate cherry fruitcake which had also come from the newspaper. I made it pretty much like you did. Today I brought it in to work to share...everyone said it was really good. I can only assume they weren't lying. Seriously, it's even been enjoyed by my son's picky fiance! I'll be sharing it along with my Christmas cookies to friends and co-workers. Thanks for a great recipe. No doorstops for me!
Carol





ANSWER: Carol, this kind of news warms my heart. I got a lot of fruitcake grief - that is, until friends, family and colleagues all tried a slice of my modernized homemade fruitcake.


WHERE THERE'S SMOKE, THERE'S BARBECUE

QUESTION: I saw on the Delawareonline blog site you mentioned Famous Dave's BBQ. Have you ever tried Durham's BBQ? It's on Elkton-Newark Road just across the state line into Maryland across from Wawa. I haven't been there in a while, but I remember it being pretty good. They have brisket, ribs, ham, sausages, kielbasa. It is take out only.
Thought you might want to give it a try.
Chuck Leary Jr.

ANSWER: We've been big fans of Durham's BBQ. I've written about Durham's several times. And I know some people love getting their smoked turkeys for the holidays. Readers: If you haven't been, you need to check it out.


NEW DINING TRENDS?
QUESTION: Ms. Talorico,
A friend of mine told me about recent trends in California with restaurant menus designed to make fine dining affordable, such as the recent proliferation of special fixed-price menus and the upsurge of more casual bistros, brasseries or even sushi. These are fixed menus with multi courses at more affordable prices, which allow restaurants to gauge their ordering more accurately and balance costs better while still offering their customers a taste of luxury. Do you know any restaurateurs in Delaware that are trying some of these new tactics?
Thanks!
Jim


ANSWER: Restaurateurs? Can you share some info?
UPDATE: Here's an email I received from Tom Hudson, owner of Domaine Hudson in Wilmington.
In response to your reader's question, we are currently offering 3 courses for $35 to help diners to enjoy good food without big prices. Our online reservation system, OpenTable.com, recently held a nationwide event called Appetite Stimulus Plan, where all participating restaurants offered 3-$35 menus. This was so successful that we have elected to continue from the original 11/14-11/21 dates through 12/30/08. We also anticipate offering this in 2009 also (but not on New Year's Eve, as chefs Jason and Mark have a special menu for that night).

Here is a link to the menu:

http://www.domainehudson.com/documents/AppetiteStimulus_120808.pdf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about new UTAGE (Japanese) at Hockessin offering multi courses at fixed-price, I have never tried yet. Maybe there is more information from their website.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, "my son's picky fiance'??? Sure setting up for a great relationship! And I do agree, most really good cheesesteaks don't come out of Philly but the surrounding areas.

Anonymous said...

3 courses for $35.00 is still kinda expensive...anybody know what UTAGE offers?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, how can that dude hate Culinaria? Butter and salt makes everything taste delicious. He sounds kind of bitter.