Friday, December 5, 2008

Reader mail


Happy, happy Friday. It's been an emotionally draining week and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend that includes chopping down a Christmas tree, heading to a party and tossing flour around the kitchen during a marathon baking session.

Do your part for the economy and try to dine out at a locally owned restaurant.

Need something to do:

Tonight through Sunday, Moore Brothers Wine Company is bringing in a slew of German wine makers. There's also a cool beer tasting on Saturday at Iron Hill Brewery in Wilmington (see second and third items.)





The mailbag is stuffed like Santa's sack today. Lots of great questions. Keep 'em coming. You ask. We answer. Every Friday. Email me at ptalorico@delawareonline.com.


QUESTION: Edea Barilo of Bellevue Manor had mentioned her gravy that won first place. Is there any chance of getting the recipe? It sounds very good. My aunt used to make a red gravy with pork and spearmint leaves to help with digestion wish I had that recipe as well.
Thanks
Ray

ANSWER: Spearmint leaves? Really? That's a new one to me. It's amazing the diversities when it comes to Italian gravy.
Americans who sing about sauce of their childhood that would sputter in a large pot on their mother or grandmother's stove are actually talking about ragu napoletano. Ragu is something that makes Edea Barilo nostalgic for her youth and brings back memories of her parents, now deceased. The Brandywine Hundred resident grew up smelling and eating Sunday gravy and continues the tradition with her own family. At the annual Vendemmia Italian food and wine festival in Wilmington this past October, Barilo's full-bodied sauce took top honors at the annual Gravy Contest.

Another reader asked for Barilo's recipe. But she told me doesn't have one written down. Barilo says the secret of her sauce is to have everything fresh. She starts by sauteing onions and garlic. From there, she makes her own braciola, the flattened beef that she spreads with a blend of flat-leaf parsley, garlic, salt and pepper, rolls up and then braises. Sausage goes into the pan, followed by homemade meatballs made with a combination of ground veal, beef and pork. An added layer of flavor comes from the addition of sauteed country-style ribs.
Barilo's mother Ada always canned her own homegrown summer tomatoes. Her daughter does the same. But sometimes Barilo also uses cans of San Marzano tomatoes.
"I'll add the spices, salt, pepper and garlic. The parsley comes from my yard as do the bay leaves," she says. Fennel seed is also part of the mix. The preparation takes about an hour and Barilo slow-cooks the sauce for another 2 1/2 hours. "The whole house smells great."


QUESTION: Hi Pat, Several months ago you did a write up on a new restaurant that opened in Glen Mills, U.S. 202, Route 1 area and I believe it was a steakhouse. Could you please give me the name. It 's not Brandywine Prime because I was thinking this new restaurant might give them some competition.
Thank you,
Carolyn D. Brown


ANSWER: I believe you're thinking of Mile High Steak House in Glen Mills, Pa. Here's the link: http://www.milehighsteakandseafood.com/


QUESTION: Hello Patricia,
My name is Joe Louden and I am a teacher in the Fine Arts department at Ursuline Academy.
I am interested in having parents and students bring food items to the Christmas concerts next Tuesday and Wednesday at our school.
Is there a chance you would be able to drop off barrels for collection of any food items?
I await your response to report this possibility to our leadership.

ANSWER: Hi Joe. I'm so glad your organization is participating. My book club just gathered together items that we plan to drop off very soon. When we first ran stories about the initiative of Delaware Does More, supported by The News Journal and spearheaded by the United Way and the Delaware Food Bank - more than 30 companies, churches and organizations promised to get involved. Since stories first ran and appeared in print and on DelawareOnline – more than 250 Delaware companies, churches and organizations have signed on to help local Delawareans in need. These organizations are doing everything from employee / employer food drives, bake sales, collecting extra cash donations and more during this campaign to raise $250,000 and 300,000 pounds of food during the next 90 days.

The Food Bank of Delaware needs your help now more than ever. They will drop off and pick up barrels for you. The contact person is Charlotte McGarry at 292-1305, ext., 211 or cmcgarry@fbd.org


QUESTION: Hi Patricia. My husband and I went to Orillas Saturday night. The place was crowded, but we were seated right away. Our server was awesome, filling us in on things the menu did not tell us,such as how the seafood and vegetarian paellas could be made for one person and how everything is freshly made so special orders are not a problem. We ordered several dishes to share and were very happy with our choices. The chef and sous chef both came out to speak to us, as did other people working there. Our hope is that the good news about Orillas speads and that the location is a plus, not a minus.
Beryl Gamiel


ANSWER: Beryl, your experience mirrors my own. Here's my review of Orillas.

QUESTION: I enjoyed your article about Vincente's. It was a favorite of mine when I had out of town customers to entertain. In addition to the table side salad and talking menu, he did an outstanding act named Cafe Diablo. It was a real crowd pleaser. I wonder if that will be included at the new location. Hal Lynch

ANSWER: My guess is that Vincente's owner Vincent Mancari will bring back many favorites from his old menu.

QUESTION: Patricia - I have a coworker coming to town from Houston with a church group of 30 people. She is looking for a place for the group to have dinner on Thursday evening and wants to keep the average entree price at $15-$20 per.

A friend recommended looking at the Italian restaurants in South Philly for a real experience and good food but he couldn't think of any names. I came up with
Ralph's Italian Restaurant using Google.

Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to avoid sending them to a chain restaurant.


ANSWER: Ralph's is definitely an old school "red gravy" joint. I can't remember the prices - went there with my uncle about a year or so ago - but it's a fun South Philly place.

I also like Villa di Roma, 936 S. Ninth St., (between Christian Street and Washington Avenue) (215) 592-1295. It's also in the Italian Market - just down the street from Ralph's. I think it's a little more casual than Ralph's, but good food, very homey and as South Philly as it gets.

Just so you know, I'm almost positive that both places are cash only.


In Delaware, there's always Ristorante Attilio's (my first choice for "red gravy" Italian) or Madeline's Italian Restaurant.

No comments: