Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Food DOGS: These flatbreads hit the spot

I hoped my first Food DOGs post would be about something I cooked on the grill, but Monday's rain dashed all hopes of that. The ribs will have to wait until another time.
So instead I offer up my opinion on something new from Wawa.

Yes, Wawa. I love Wawa. I even go the somewhat slower way to the Southern Outer Banks each year because there are Wawa stores all the way into Virginia on U.S. 301. Gas, food, bathroom and coffee. Little slices of heaven spread along the highway.

Anyway, back to the food ... I've really come to love the new toasted flatbreads. These folded, heated delights are tasty and inexpensive -- $3.99 right now.
There are three kinds:
  • Salsa Chicken -- Pepperjack cheese, fresh salsa and chunks of chicken (I like to get the side of sour cream with this one)
  • Cuban -- Ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and Dijonnaise.
  • Reuben -- Corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.
Each one is a folded flatbread with the ingredients put between the folded halves and the whole thing toasted.

I highly recommend both the salsa chicken and Cuban. I haven't tried the Reuben one yet but may have it for lunch today on my way to work. I'll let you know how it is if I do.

When time is short -- as it has often been for me lately -- and you need something on the go, it's nice to know there are options to the drive-thru window.

UPDATE: 4/23/09 3:43 p.m.

Here's the Wawa commercial for the toasted flatbread.



Jeffrey Gentry

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

how, when and by whom are they toasted?

Jeffrey Gentry said...

First you place your order on the touch screen at the deli counter. One of the deli clerks then toasts the sandwich in the ovens behind the deli counter. It only takes a couple of minutes in the oven... The flatbread sandwiches are prepped earlier to cut down on the wait time. The toasting finishes off the process.

Anonymous said...

Oh! So that's a sign and not a package up there?

As long as they are not nuked. I still love Wawa's meatball subs -- a throwback from 2 am after last call feeding frenzies in my 20's.

Anonymous said...

You love Wawa food? What's next - you share your love of Wonder Bread? Get a life (and an appetite)

Gabrielle said...

I'm always hesitant to get tuna fish from a sub shop but I always get it from WaWa. It's the best tuna sub around!

Anonymous said...

Well that's just mean. I didn't mean I LOVE the meatball subs really. I have a life and an appetite thank you very much. I'm so not telling you how much I like toast made from Stroemanns.

~ same anon as 9:29

JoAnn said...

These are $4.99 in Bethany Beach!

Also, I recently had a Deerhead hot dog (to go) from the store near Christiana Hospital and it was so spicy that it was inedible.

I called the store and told them but I could tell that they were not really interested.

What a disappointment.

Jeffrey Gentry said...

Add Turkey Quesadilla to the list of toasted flatbread offerings. I saw the sign for it last night at the Wawa on Airport Road.

JoAnn said...

Guess that Sussex County has not gotten the $3.99 message yet!