Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What a ham!



I work with some super-talented people. Page designer and all-around great artist Howard Johnson is one of them.

Today's Life cover of "The Ham" is Howard's creation and I think it's so cool, creative and hilarious. (I've gotten a couple of phone calls today on how funny this was.) Howard took what could have been a really boring story - ho-hum Easter ham - and instead of putting a photo of a baked ham with pineapples on top on the page, he jazzed things up.

Howard and I talked about "the ham story" a couple of weeks ago and began brain-storming.

(Why is there always so much ham leftover at Easter. Geez, Louise, it's like a holiday leftovers horror show!)

I started thinking about horror movies and the Terminator, but Howard came up with the idea of doing a riff on the old movie poster from "The Blob."

I love the people fighting off the ham with a fork.

Now, that's funny stuff, people. And very creative. (One of the editors asked if the G rating was for Glaze. I wish I thought of that earlier.)

No comments: