Monday, March 24, 2008

What's cooking....

Hope your Easter was hopping...

Took a spiral ham - from Costco (thanks for the suggestion Joanne!) - and glazed it with a jar of Flower Market mustard and brown sugar. Family went nuts. It was crazy good, if I must say so myself. (What is the secret ingredient in Flower Market mustard?? I always stock up on a couple of jars when the Wilmington Flower Market rolls around.)

Saturday night, I made homemade pizza dough. I tried a couple of recipes but was really happy with the Dan Butler pizza recipe . (Click on pizza recipe and scroll to second item or click on pizza label below.)

But this time I subbed King Arthur white whole wheat flour for the bread flour in Dan's recipe. At first, the dough seemed really heavy. (Uh, oh, leaden pizza ahead!)

But I let the dough rise for an hour and then rest in fridge for another 30 minutes to an hour. Rolled it out thin and baked it on a pizza stone in a 550 degree oven for about six minutes. (Toppings - thin layer of marinara sauce, along with fontina and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.)

When it came out, I added fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil to the top. Wow. Incredibly crispy and delish. It even impressed the skeptic who normally doesn't like whole wheat anything.

Sorry, no photos. We were almost finished eating before I thought about snapping shots. (Same with Easter ham.)

No comments: