Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Dining out pet peeves

News Journal reader Joan Kovach gave me a call the other day.
The Pike Creek resident wanted to share one of her biggest dining-out pet peeves: Being addressed by the server as "you guys."
Kovach says she and her friend John frequently dine out. It doesn't seem to matter if they're at a fine-dining establishment or a casual eatery. The server almost always says "How are you guys?"
"We usually look at each other and smirk," Kovach says.
"Why can't they just say 'How are you this evening?'"
Good question. According to the Urban Dictionary, calling a group "you guys" may be proof of America's sexist bias. Or, more likely, it's an attempt to be friendly and casual.
It doesn't bother me so much - I know I've used "you guys" before. I much prefer it then getting "madam'ed" or when a pushy server does the hard sell on a pricey wine or brings entrees when I'm still eating an appetizer.
What are your dining out pet peeves?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Showing my old geezer status, but for some reason when you ask the server for something or even just give them your order and they reply "no problem". I find the expression extremely annoying in that context even in a less than fine dining establishment.

Unknown said...

I absolutely hate the up-sell. Say you order a hamburger. "Would you like cheese"? Did I ask for cheese? I said a Hamburger, if I wanted cheese, I would say cheeseburger. Or if you order a coffee and they ask if you want a muffin. Sorry, it bugs me.

Anonymous said...

My biggest pet peeve- and this is coming from a seasoned waitress- has to do with drinks. It costs a restaurant nothing for soda/coffee/iced tea refil!s, and there are still restaurants in the area that do not automatically fill empty glasses. Nothing like dinking a few Diet Cokes and getting your check, realizing you just drank enough to buy dessert or an appetizer instead!