Monday, June 25, 2007

Reader mail


Happy, rainy Monday.

Still working on some reader mail from last week. In the meantime, in response to my query about fajita stand on Pa. Route 41, a reader said:

There is a stand on route 41 in Toughkennamon - 41 and Newark road. I have never been there but there is always a line.

OK, I'm checking it out this weekend.

And here's a letter from a happy diner (John, I have been to Cafe Palermo and wrote about it in a Dish column. I recall the food was much better (very good, in fact) than the decor; it looks like a pizzeria from the outside and the dining room seemed in the middle of a remodeling during my visits, but that was about a year ago.)

Dear Patricia,
If you haven't been to Cafe Palermo on Miller Road 3 shops down from Home Depot...GO!!!!
I had dinner there tonight and it was one of if not the most delicious meals I've had since I was in Tuscany last Thanksgiving. It's owned by Maria(forgot her last name,sorry) formerly of Cafe Riviera (Concord Mall) and is easily as good if not significantly better. Their pizza is better than Riviera and their dinners are better than their pizza! I went in intending to get a chicken cheesesteak w/the works but I got peering at the specials board and decided I had to try the Taste of Italy. Turn on your imagination now... shrimp, fettucini, rainbow tortellini, gnocchi(I grew up on these, rest in peace Grandmom), portobella ravioli, lobster ravioli, and ricotta pesto ravioli in a garlic parmesan almost Alfredo sauce...addictively good. Brava Maria!!! Speaking of addictively good, their garlic parmesan breadsticks are heaven! Baked with olive oil that tastes like it was just pressed. I dared to have dessert (I rarely have sweets after a wonderful dinner but tonig ht I couldn't say no). Cheesecake, homemade cannolis, mmm but I had to try the Tira Misu. Delicately spongy, subtlely sweet, drippingly delicious. Easily as good as I had in Tuscany. Double expresso with lemon. Happy belly, happier taste buds, sleepytime (you know how that goes!)! $27 on Mastercard. Most prices are under $17 for dinner and $10 for lunch. If you haven't been, GO! If you have, GO AGAIN!!! Tell Eric Ruth, tell everyone! Plus the atmosphere and decor is like an intimate italian villa. I hope to see you there. Ciao!
John Neal

No comments: