Friday, July 13, 2007

Reader mail


Hey foodies, computer technical difficulties - again! - were causing some problems with my Reader Mail posting today. Wrinkles are being ironed out. I have several more letters to post. Stay tuned!


QUESTION: Hi there. I'm looking for a really good Italian restaurant in Philly (or Wilmington if there is such a thing) for a special occasion. Chester County or Baltimore are possibilities too. Thanks in advance!!!


ANSWER: Thanks for writing. This is a hard question to answer because it’s pretty vague. I’m not sure how much you want to spend, if you prefer a BYO, etc. Just an FYI: Readers, I love answering questions, but please, just a little more information will help me or Eric narrow the search. In Philly, right now, I’d would probably go to Osteria, 640 N. Broad St., Philadelphia; (215) 763-0920 or www.osteriaphilly.com. This new restaurant is owned by Marc Vetri and Jeff Benjamin, who also run Philly's Vetri Ristorante, considered one of the best Italian restaurants in the country. (Or you could make a reservation there. If you want to drop some big time cash. And it's worth it, in my humble opinion. Reservations can be difficult; there are only 35 seats. Vetri, 1312 Spruce St.; 215) 732-3478; www.vetriristorante.com) Tre Scalini, a Philly BYO at 1915 E. Passyunk Ave., is another longtime favorite. I’ve enjoyed Mezza Luna at 763 S. Eighth St. (Catherine St.) 215-627-4705. Eric Ruth recently visited Pomodoro, 729 N. Union St., Wilmington. 574-9800 in Wilmington’s Little Itay and gave it a 2 1/2 star (good to very good) rating. Here's his review and a story I did on Philadelphia dining that includes remarks about Osteria.


QUESTION: What can you tell me about the Jasmine Asian restaurant on Concord Pike. We want to take our son and his wife out for a special meal. Thanks, Priscilla

ANSWER: Priscilla, I've had good meals at Jasmine Asian Cuisine, 3618 Concord PikeWilmington, 479-5618, but not such great service. It's a hip restaurant and patrons can order all kinds of Pan-Asian dishes, which is nice if someone wants sushi and someone else wants pad Thai.

No comments: