Thursday, July 5, 2007

To serve man ribs


Hope you all had a happy Fourth. I spent part of the day at the Hockessin parade. Hadn't been to this old-fashioned parade on Old Lancaster Pike in years. Gee, nothing says the Fourth of July like having firefighters, D-List politicians (it's just not a parade if the NCC Sheriff or Register of Wills aren't there) and Boy Scouts pelt you with penny candy as they pass by.

For our indoor picnic, I made pork ribs - used a spice rub and roasted them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours as per the Everyday Food magazine recipe. (See July 2 post.) Then, I finished the ribs on the grill with slatherings of BBQ sauce. This technique worked out really well. Though, I appreciate the suggestion of one Second Helping reader who listed the Alton Brown recipe which uses a lower temperature. (See July 2 comments.) No one was complaining about my ribs, but I might try the Brown recipe next time. We drank MacMurray Ranch pinot noir from Sonoma. Good pairing!
Dessert was an American-style red, white and blue confection. I made sour cream pound cake - I used the recipe from the good, old reliable plaid Better Homes & Garden cookbook (buy this cookbook for a beginner cook; it's invaluable) - and topped slices with fresh strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. Simple and delicious.

Instead of catching soggy fireworks - we flipped on the Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi channel just in time to catch my all-time favorite episode: To Serve Man.

To quote Rod Serling, it's about "the evolution of man, the cycle of going from dust to dessert, the metamorphosis from being the ruler of a planet to an ingredient in someone's soup."
What a great day.

No comments: