Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sours are oh-so sweet


You can always count on NJ wine writer Roger Morris to introduce readers to an interesting beverage.


Morris talked about doing a story on sours several months ago and was already way ahead of the curve. Then, the Wall Street Journal had a story in June and Pisco sours were featured in the July issue of Food & Wine. Sorry, Roger! We should have done the story sooner!

I'm going to order a Pisco sour this summer at the Back Porch cafe in Rehoboth. See my companion piece to Roger's story. Hopefully, it will be mixed by legendary bartender Bee Neild.

I've been seeing some intriguing riffs on sour cocktails. The bar at the W Hotel in New York serves a mean pomegranate sour.

I had a great margarita on the rocks recently at Harry's Seafood Grill. But I interrogated the poor bartender mercilessly before ordering. Didn't want no stinkin' syrupy-sweet mixer. Didn't want no rot-gut tequila. Put away the blender, please. I want a drink, not a Slurpee. Salt? Heck, yeah! Wait. Are you using fresh lime juice and Cointreau? If not, then I don't want your stinkin' drink. Tough beans if I sound mean. I want what I want. And after one sip, I gave him a really good tip.

What cocktail is worth sipping this summer? And where do we find it? Comment, comment, comment.

No comments: