Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Avalanche of cookbooks

I don't care what the calendar says: It's really fall.
How do I know? Book publishers are busy trying to push their latest tomes. You should see the stacks and stacks of cookbooks on and surrounding my desk.

Not all are winners. For instance, I seriously doubt I'll be running any stories about "The Book of Spam: A Most Glorious and Definitive Compendium of the World's Favorite Canned Meat" (Astria Books, $23.95).

But I'm looking forward to paging through "Sunday Roast: Cooking & Carving" (Kyle Books, $19.99) by Clarissa Dickson Wright - one of the original "Two Fat Ladies, remember them?? and Johnny Scott.

I also like the looks of:

- "Apples for Jam" (Andrews McMeel Publishing, $29.95) by Tessa Kiros

- "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" (Hyperion. $24.95) by Simon Hopkinson

- "Cooking with Shelburne Farms" (Viking Studio, $34.95) by Melissa Pasanen

- And "Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie " (Taunton, $23) by Patty Pinner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty!
I, too, am looking forward to the fall, and have two books in the mail on their way as we speak. Anne Willan's "Country Cooking of France" and "Saveur Cooks Authentic American". I've been anticipating Willan's book, as she is high on my list of French cooking authors; her "La Varenne Practique" was given to me by my sister when I was just a waiter at Toscana. I use it to this day. Also, the Saveur cooks series is terrific, but I've been having trouble getting the American book, as it is out of print. Can't wait to sink my teeth into. Also added to my library recently is the "Soul of a New Cuisine" by Marcus Samuelsson. It's a comprehensive primer on the various eclectic cuisines of Africa, my latest curiousity.
Thanks for the heads up on the books- and eat well!
Chef Robert Lhulier

Patricia Talorico said...

Hi Chef,
Thanks for the comment. Anne Willan is a wonderful cookbook author. I remember several years ago, I went to a dinner in Manayunk, Pa., that Delaware native Tom Douglas was hosting at Jake's Restaurant. Tom, who owns several Seattle restaurants, came over to chat and he was really pumped. Anne Willan was sitting in the corner of the restaurant. He thought it was an honor to cook for her. I have the Marcus Samuelsson book on my shelf, but haven't had a chance to give it a look. I'm bogged down with the new books and more are arriving as we speak (write?)
Happy cooking!