Monday, September 10, 2007

Reader mail


I missed Friday's mail call, but here's a letter about "Iron Chef America." I may have answered it in a previous post, so sorry if I'm repeating myself. Here it goes again:

QUESTION: I have always wondered this about [The Food Network series] "Iron Chef America": I usually only see them prepare one plate of each of their 5 dishes. How and when are the other 3 plates prepared? Thanks. Can’t wait to see The Naked Chef [Jamie Oliver] on the show. Diane A.

ANSWER: Diane, the magic of television is an amazing thing. OK, here's the deal. The Iron Chef battle is one hour. The chefs don't stop cooking and the cameras don't stop rolling for 60 minutes. (This really surprised me during a taping - I kept waiting for a "commercial break" - and when I mentioned it to Bobby Flay, he said, "Make sure you tell people that. No one believes I'm really cooking for an hour." ) The chefs have to make and plate one of each dish in 60 minutes. But after the clock stops, the cameras stop rolling. The competitors then take turns plating up additional dishes for the judges so that the food is served hot - or cold - and it looks fresh. I think they even make an extra "beauty" plate for camera close-ups. You don't see the extra plating on TV. But the competitors do this themselves, not Food Network staffers. Then, they place the dishes on a cart and roll them over to the judges. The taping begins again as the dishes are placed in front of the judges and they give their comments. It takes a while, so that's why much of this isn't shown. The judging took more than an hour, if I remember correctly. Interesting note: host Alton Brown doesn't taste the food - or at least he didn't at the taping I attended.
I'm interested in watching Jamie Oliver in action. I may have to check out his battle in person. But sorry, I can't give away the ending. You have to wait until it's aired.

No comments: