Monday, September 17, 2007

Next time, get a booth

If you're going on a first date, make sure you ask for a booth.
This past weekend, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on the conversation of some fellow diners.
My dining companion and I were seated at a crowded banquette and, believe me, it's no place for a private chat. We were privvy to all the details of the couple next us whether we liked it or not.
The couple, on a first date, met through an Internet dating service and were just getting to know each other in person. I know this because the guy was very loud when he said "I knew I liked you when I read your profile and you liked skiing..." (This, later, turned out to be a little weird, because the guy said he DIDN'T ski.) Our eyebrows raised and while we chatted to each other, we were really listening to their conversation. (Those seats were much too close.)
Don't believe for one minute that someone isn't paying attention to what you're saying in a restaurant.
Sitting next to them was just like being on a first date. It was sometimes awkward, full of pauses and occasionally goofy comments. The woman talked for a long time about a movie called Beerfest that actually sounded pretty funny and may be something I have to rent. After a while, we tried to tune out and have our own conversation. But, later in the night, I noticed that a couple on the other side of Internet couple, joined their chat.
Maybe they wanted to know more about Beerfest or maybe they were on a first date, too?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I was having lunch at the Corner Bistro in Talleyville one Sunday afternoon - the day after a breakup. I was hoping for a quiet meal. The waiter seated a First Date Couple at the next table - barely 2 feet away. As their conversation escalated through many mutual admirations, I was tempted to lean over and ask if they wanted to get a room. He was about 15 years older than little Miss Twenty-Something and had been salivating over her for some time he admitted. Pretty nauseating being privy to all the comments about their past misses and future intentions. Ick.

Anonymous said...

This whole blog just goes to show that people in Wilmington cannot handle restuarants. Many of the best places in Philly and NYC are small, cramped restuarants with the BEST food. Our favorite, Dmitri's in Philadelphia, has diners seated within inches of each other. It's all part of the dining out experience. If you want a booth, go to TGI Fridays or Applebee's and leave the quaint bistros to me.

Patricia Talorico said...

I think you missed the point of this post. It isn't a dig at small restaurants. Please. It's about overheard conversations in restaurants.

Anonymous said...

i dont think the previous poster missed the point...you yourself said the seats were much too close and the banquette was crowded. this is charm!! wake up wilmingon!