Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bacon candy bars

Part of my job as a food writer is to eat things so you don't have to. I call it "one for the team."
Take bacon ice cream.
Take it. Take it away. Far, far away. Please. I had it once and don't want another spoonful.
It's not the worst thing I've ever eaten. No, that would be muskrat. Its weird, marshy, salty, swampy taste and scary, stringy gray meat will haunt me for the rest of my life. (Aren't you glad you don't have to live with that flavor memory??)
Garlic ice cream and jellyfish are two other things I never want going down my gullet again.
A good buddy - thanks Eve! - just sent me some information that the Vosges Haut-Chocolat kitchen has introduced the Bacon + Chocolate Exotic Candy Bar.
A candy bar made with applewood smoked bacon.
Why? Why? WHY?
Yet, the Vosges people say the $7 bar is "flying off the shelves." (What else would you expect them to say?)
Is this a "one for the team" food sampling? I'll give it a shot.

2 comments:

CareerDiva said...

Hey! I had nothing to do with this combination..Don't throw pork at the messenger!!

I've always joked that even shoe leather would taste good wrapped in bacon. Why not chocolate. Give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Tell us what wine you pair with that